Usher
Well a few of us have taken on the role of usher over the past 3 weeks at 5pm church. Its been an interesting 1st experience for me, and I thought I'd post what I've noticed about the church service from a helper's point of view:
1) The sound from outside of church travels into church very easily!
People can therefore get easily distracted if they sit at the back - there are always noises, people talking outside, or something to distract the people at the back. Having said that, people still like sitting towards the back.
2) There are LOTS of new people at church at the moment!
Its been a great encouragement to see so many people bringing their friends along to service and to see others welcoming them. It feels at the moment like we need "all hands on deck" to speak to those who are new or keep chatting with those who are regulars. It's been difficult being an usher in a way - you don't have as much opportunity to talk to people before or after service.
3) Christian encouragement can be difficult:
its been fairly easy to say stuff like "we should love others" or "Christian encouragement is about speaking God's word to bring people to maturity" but when it comes down to it, I've found it to be difficult because I need to actually take the time to think about how to love and serve others in word and deed, and I need to be patient when people don't listen to my ushering(!) or humble when yucky jobs need to be done, or willing when I'm tired and really-can't-be-bothered. Its tough!
Anyway, just some thoughts on things I picked up from ushering. Did you notice anything?
1) The sound from outside of church travels into church very easily!
People can therefore get easily distracted if they sit at the back - there are always noises, people talking outside, or something to distract the people at the back. Having said that, people still like sitting towards the back.
2) There are LOTS of new people at church at the moment!
Its been a great encouragement to see so many people bringing their friends along to service and to see others welcoming them. It feels at the moment like we need "all hands on deck" to speak to those who are new or keep chatting with those who are regulars. It's been difficult being an usher in a way - you don't have as much opportunity to talk to people before or after service.
3) Christian encouragement can be difficult:
its been fairly easy to say stuff like "we should love others" or "Christian encouragement is about speaking God's word to bring people to maturity" but when it comes down to it, I've found it to be difficult because I need to actually take the time to think about how to love and serve others in word and deed, and I need to be patient when people don't listen to my ushering(!) or humble when yucky jobs need to be done, or willing when I'm tired and really-can't-be-bothered. Its tough!
Anyway, just some thoughts on things I picked up from ushering. Did you notice anything?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home